Artwork shown is 2-car SET-2 for PRR/PENNSYLVANIA COACH #1734 and Observation #1105.
Each car is painted in PRR passenger car colors of MAROON/TUSCAN RED with BLACK roof and dulux YELLOW/GOLD lettering.
COACH #1734 carries special lettering as 'JERSEY SHORE COMMUTER CLUB'. This was a private clun composed of businessmen who rode the PRR/NY&LB to and from their Manhattan-New York City jobs. The PRR assigned a special refurbished heavyweight coach for their exclusive use. The club is still in existence today (2011) and operates on the PRR's successor NJ TRANSIT. A color photo of the 'real' PRR 1734 taken by noted rail photographer Don Wood is shown to the upper left.
A BIT OF HISTORY...The Jersey Shore Commuters Club Inc., in continuous operation on the North Jersey Coast Line since 1933, was founded under the auspices of the Pennsylvania Railroad. It has existed through Penn Central (1968-1976), Conrail (1976-1983) and NJ Transit (1983-present). Unlike the numerous private commuter cars that operated on the New York & Long Branch (the railroad jointly operated by the PRR and Central of New Jersey prior to NJT), the Club always leased, rather than owned, its equipment.
The JSCC has a storied place in New Jersey railroad history. From 1933 to 1961, the club car operated on the PRR's Broker between Bay Head and Exchange Place Terminal in Jersey City, using steam locomotives until they were replaced with diesels in the late 1950s. In February 1951, it was the last car in the consist when the Broker wrecked at Woodbridge, killing 85 (no fatalities on the car, but several injuries).
When the PRR closed Exchange Place in 1961, the Broker ran between Bay Head and Pennsylvania Station New York, with an engine change from diesel to electric at South Amboy. The railcar that provided most of the service during that time, PRR P-70 1734, was custom-built by the PRR to JSCC specifications in 1966. The interior was designed by the late Louis E. Cooke of Rumson, N.J., who had survived the Woodbridge wreck. Cooke also designed the club's logo, which is based on the PRR's famous keystone. 1734 was retired along with GGI electric No. 4877 by NJT in 1983, and replaced with newer equipment. 1734 is now part of the United Railway Historical Society of New Jersey collection.
In 1988, when NJT was retiring what little remained of steam-heated, mechanically air-conditioned cars, replacing them with modern HEP-equipped Comet II cars, the JSCC arranged to lease one-half of Comet II 5759 from NJT. This car served the JSCC for 15 years, operating between Long Branch and Penn Station New York (NJCL electrification was extended to Long Branch in 1988). A new lease was negotiated by member Robert G. Lewis of Red Bank, the now-retired publisher of railroad industry trade magazine Railway Age. Lewis also designed the interior of that half-car, equipping it with Amtrak recliner chairs and tables.
In 2003, 5759 was scheduled to be rebuilt along with the entire NJT Comet II fleet. NJT and the JSCC entered into a new contract. JSCC member and Railway Age Editor-in-Chief William C. Vantuono worked with NJT, car rebuilder Alstom Transport and consultant LTK Engineering Services to design a new half-car interior. 5759 was rebuilt and renumber 5459. It entered into service in January 2004. (Information from Jersey Shore Commuters Club Inc. website)
OBSERVATION #1105 is also lettered for 'BAY HEAD', which was the end point station of the jointly operated (by PRR and CNJ) New York & Long Branch RR also called the North Jersey Coast Line. Bay Head was originally called Bay Head Junction as a PRR Branch connected there at one time. Bay Head also had a unique balloon track that allowed entire passenger train consists to be turned, without switching, for the return run to Jersey City (PRR/CNJ) and later Penn Station New York City (PRR).
SOLD ONLY AS A 2-CAR SET. Individual cars not available.